Thought Filled Christmas Gift Guide
It’s Christmas time! We thought we would attempt to bring a touch of Travel Play Live sparkle to the Christmas season with 7 thoughtful gifts for the discerning adventurer. We’ve selected items that we love and use ourselves, gifts that we really believe in or just some great quality items that won’t be re-gifted or in landfill by January.
Because we are seriously loving this organisation at the moment, top spots 1 and 2 go out to the Love Mercy Foundation. These are the gifts that really keep on giving and embodies the true meaning of Christmas – keep an eye out for Issue 10 in January 2018 with a great story about Love Mercy Foundation.
Give a gift that will transform communities and continue to give long after the Christmas season. In northern Uganda over 12,000 women participated in Cents for Seeds since 2010. In 2017, 10,417 women will have the chance to join this microloan agricultural initiative and transform their families and communities with a loan of 30kgs of seeds.
What your gift supports:
- A women is given 30kgs of seeds of her choice - beans, rice, sesame, or peanuts
- She has access to agricultural workshops
- She becomes a member of a planting group to support her progress
- She harvests an average of 300kgs of seeds and earns an income from her crop to send her children to school, pay for medical bills, and buy household supplies.
- The initial 30kg loan is returned to Love Mercy and given to another woman next year - your gift is re-given multiple times!
Your gift will empower a midwife with her salary for the month so that she can continue to provide safe and skilled birthing assistance to our expectant mothers at the Kristina Health Centre in Otuke. Thanks to your generosity, your gift will deliver many happy healthy bubs!
There are lots of other options on their website - check them out here
3. The Travel Play Live Adventure Gift Box
These carefully curated Adventure Boxes are the perfect gift for yourself, a friend or loved one with a passion for adventure and travel. Filled with a beautiful selection of items to inspire the adventure lifestyle, treat yourself and Travel - Play - Live.
What You Get:
- Current issue of Travel Play Live
- Travel Play Live Buff
- Travel Play Live postcard set
- Love Letter Mindfullness Cards
- No Pong all natural anti odourant
- Maya Organic lip balm
- Native Glow wild citrus hydrating spray
- Samples from the Arbonne
You can even add a 1 Year Gift Subscription to the Magazine
4. Jane Grover’s Cookbooks.
This woman is a legend! Not only does she cook delicious food – which fill the pages of her books, she loves to get outside and adventure too. Jane was one of the favourites at our Women’s Adventure Summit & we look forward to having her back again in 2018. Her recipes feature in our magazine each issue, but do yourself a favour and get her books for yourself or a foodie in your life. Our Delicious Adventure is one of our favs.
5. The Gift of Asking by Kemi Nekvapil
It has been an absolute joy working with Kemi via the summit and business, but that isn’t why we are recommending this book. We are recommending this fantastic book, because the more women we speak to, the more we realise most of us struggle to ask for what we really want.
In this book, Kemi breaks down cultural myths about asking, which many of us have learned in childhood. She reminds us that asking is not necessarily greedy or selfish, but can allow us to feel empowered, valued and worthy in all aspects of life.
By reading this book, you will learn:
- To own your wants and needs, without guilt or apology
- Tools for effective asking
- Step-by-step processes to ask confidently for what you want or need, even if your knees are shaking
- What to do when the answer is “no”
- 5 Asking processes to transform your relationship to asking and therefore yourself.
You can purchase Kemi's book on our website
6. Merrell Siren Strap Sandals
These little beauties will quickly become favourites not only in your travel wardrobe, but for everyday. Throw away those flimsy thongs (flip flops) these are super comfortable, have great grip and are perfect for wearing around camp, or to wear at the beach and explore the rockpools. They are made from waterproof nubic with lycra neoprene lining, so they dry pretty quickly. They also make the perfect all day walking shoe. These have quickly become my go to shoes for exploring the outdoors. (Add to that I have a very broad large foot and they fit really well.)
6. Yeti Hopper Soft Cooler
Ok so at first the price of this cool cat made us hesitate, but the more we checked it out and talked to other converts we were convinced. The fact that the sales guy filled it with water and then jumped on it, may have pushed us over the edge. All of Yeti’s products are fantastic quality and bear proof – but more importantly for us Aussies, the insulation offers superior cold-holding and ensures the promise of ice for days!
The soft cooler is PERFECT for picnics, overnight car camping, sports days or heading out on the boat for the day. It is leak proof, waterproof and resistant to mildew, punctures and UV rays. Well worth the investment.